A Week in the Hospital (A birth story)

Welcome to the world Ryleigh Ann Wilcox! Did you know that you're a whole month early?!

So technically she was born a preemie, but weighed more than what a preemie does because I had gestational diabetes.

As soon as she latched to breastfeed she would fall asleep.
Preemies tend to have a hard time staying awake from what I've been told. 

Her jaundice levels were also high, but not high enough where the nurses felt like she needed the special light, but unfortunately, a side effect of Jaundice is being extra sleepy.I tried to breastfeed and pump to build my supply.
Each time, she would fall right asleep, which made the whole breastfeeding thing that much more difficult.

I can't remember if it was Thursday or Friday, but with all the stress I was under, I had no appetite, no sleep, and I was super stressed about a big job starting on Saturday that my milk supply went away.
I was having a hard time even pumping.

Out of everything I've read, it's been drilled into me that "breast is best". I know it's the best thing for her and I really wanted to breast feed. I was really against going to formula, and I didn't want to use a bottle for fear of nipple confusion, but by Friday, I reluctantly agreed to supplement with formula until my supply came back.
To avoid nipple confusion, we were given a tube that we taped to my husband's finger to feed her while I pumped. She did great with that.

I'm pretty sure Friday was the day that she didn't poop. The nurses told us that if she didn't eliminate within 24 hours, they were going to have to do something about it, but luckily, and literally at the last minute she did.

All week long, every two hours the nurses would come in for testing. They would prick her little feet and collect blood samples to make sure her levels were good. They did this because of the gestational diabetes.
She had a lot of testing while we were there.

With hopes that they were going to let us go home all week, we were finally able to on Sunday, but because her Jaundice levels were still high, we were told we needed to bring her back the next morning for more tests.

It was the safest and slowest ride home I've ever had!

Continue Reading...

A Birth Story


Start from the beginning

No comments:

Post a Comment